Group PMX, in association with Tishman Construction and Lehrer, LLC, was selected as the program management team for the largest facility design-build project in the United States. The current Jacob K. Javits Convention Center includes two buildings with exhibit space measuring 2.1 million square feet and 840,000 square feet. A major renovation of the existing facilities was completed in 2014, including a new façade and green roof, state-of-the-art operations upgrades, and an energy use reduction of 26 percent. Legislation was subsequently passed which allowed the owner, Empire State Development (ESD), and the operating corporation to embark on a new program to enhance the Javits Center into one of the 10 largest convention centers in the US.
In order to execute this new, ambitious initiative, the ESD and the Convention Center Development Corporation (CCDC) have formed a team of consultants to provide Program Management Services to oversee the Design-Build Team.
Group PMX, working as part of the Program Management Team, is providing program management and program controls services, including cost/financial management, scheduling, risk, and document control.
Project highlights include the addition of:
• A 480,000 square foot, four-level on-site marshaling facility, including 27 new loading docks
• 92,000 square feet of new prime exhibit space
• 107,000 square feet of new state-of-the-art meeting room and ballroom space
• 113,000 square feet of pre-function space
• A roof terrace accommodating 1,500 people for outdoor events
• An expanded green roof area
• Minimum LEED Silver Certification